Monday, June 9, 2014

The News about WNYX

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=newsradio%20mug%20wnyx


    Why ‘NewsRadio?’” you ask…well instead of the simple answer of “Why not?” I will go back 14 years ago when I saw the show for the very first time. It had been recorded off of the television onto videotape in an attempt to preserve its awesomeness (and to skip the commercials). This was back before 9/11, it was the year of Y2K (nothing happened so people had a bunch of survival crap stored up), I enjoyed it with “the champagne of beers” and the sarcasm was addictive immediately! ...the sarcasm of the show, not the beer. 

    I only really recognized one actor the first time I watched, and that was Mr. Phil Hartman. Bill reminded me of his ridiculous SNL characters like ‘Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer,’ his commercials for ‘Colon Blow,’ and all the voice over work he did on ‘The Simpsons.’ But soon I became a fan of all the NewsRadio cast. Of Dave, Joe, Andy…I saw them everywhere! Vicki Lewis I remember seeing in ‘Godzilla’ of all places! Not to mention Stephen Root! He was all over the place!! It was great! I recognized Maura Tierney from ‘Liar Liar’ and ‘E.R.’; Andy Dick from ‘In the Army Now’; we all know Joe Rogan from 'UFC', ‘Fear Factor', and of course his stand-up. Khandi Alexander moved on to roles a little more “scientific,”(also cast on E.R. & on CSI) but I still saw her on smaller office comedies like ‘Better Off Ted.’ Most people knew Jon Lovitz from SNL, although he also had a cartoon where he almost seemed to play as Max Lewis—were Max actually a “foodie” as he so eloquently claimed on NewsRadio. Dave Foley also had a recurring medical character role on the comedy ‘Scrubs’ as a happy-go-lucky therapist…kind of a “drunk Dave” character, it seemed, heh heh. But all that these shows did was remind me of good ol’ NewsRadio and how much I missed that whole bunch…

    So, over the next roughly 3 months, I will be looking back over each episode independently giving them each some due attention. I do not ask that the show be remade or changed in any way, it is great! I only ask that those who have forgotten about it take another look and maybe introduce some friends and family. I will see you all at Jimmy’s small town radio station up where the real news is made! For those of you who decide to stop at this point here and trek no further…have fun with Matthew and Dave back in NYC. God Bless!!

Click here for WNYX the Game & WNYX Mug !!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to remember and honor the laugh maker that Phil Hartman was... CHEERS! (doh!...wrong show)

    ReplyDelete

3D Sticker on Your Car?!

   We have started making 3D splats . Forget the bumper sticker, that's gonna be trouble to clean off the fender once you sell your ca...